Skip to main content

Behavioral Science and Biblical Interpretation

It has been a few months since I posted anything. I have been contemplating a few things. About 3 months ago (around the time I stopped posting) I met with Pastor Tim from our church. We talked about a bunch of things, and it was a very positive and thought provoking conversation, also the breakfast sandwiches were delicious. We talked about a lot of the things that I post on here, and we disagreed on a bunch of things, however it was exactly what I wanted this blog to be.... responsible and productive.
One of the main take-aways that I took from the meeting was something that Pastor Tim talked about. He had been given a piece of writing that works with behavioral sciences and The Bible. The title of the article is "Idols of the Heart and "Vanity Fair"" by David Powlison. Much of what it says was condensed down into an auto-biographical story from Pastor Tim. He also warned me of something that he struggled with when he was younger and in seminary like I am. He warned me of the hidden pride and self-motivation that even biblical interpretation and then teaching can be driven by.
So I have been seeking to look at myself and to chat with God about myself and this issue that is something that I think can be detrimental to keeping a constructive and progressive conversation about what we talk about on here. I would call it a Blog sabbatical, haha!!
I suppose that I have not made much progress in determining what flaws may be in my intent and satisfaction in what I have done on this blog, but the point is that I have been working on staying aware of the sneakiness of pride and idolatry even in typing ideas on the Internet. Hopefully, just by doing this, God can help us to remain focused on him and looking for his truth without interfering by seeking credit, or seeking something for ourselves.
I am hoping that I can again begin typing here again, and I hope you will read and respond with all of this in mind. Thank you for being patient!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Restoration of Creation

    I find it very interesting now that I go back and read some of my old writings. Reading them and posting them on here may give you insight as to how my thinking, my worldview, and understanding of theology has evolved throughout the past decade or so. Here is the second post from the past.......(I really could have done a much better job writing these papers, what an  intellectual/ slacker I was all at the same time, haha!) 04/14/2005      The Bible portrays redemption in some way as the restoration of creation. This conflicts with the belief that somehow redemption has taken humans out of creation. Many “Christians” believe that the sacred and secular are separate because of redemption, yet all throughout the Bible it is quite the opposite. If we would only take the time to read and study the word of God, we would learn so much about what God has planned for us and what he has always had planned for us.      When the fall of our kind came, back when Adam and Eve first sinned, it

Jesus.....

Now this post won't seem as exciting as others I have posted, but you will see as it all plays out why I did this the way I did. To come out with it plainly, I would like to take this oppurtunity to ask the readers here what their beliefs about Jesus of Nazareth are. I am sure all of our views are different. This could make some of you uncomfortable. I know that there are non-Christians reading this, so remember that this is to be a respectable discussion, in order to move forward we must learn from one another. We Christians seem to be the most judgmental when it comes to this. So, what do you believe about Jesus? What does he teach you? What is his significance? More importantly, I find that the "So What?" question is the most important. That question means... so, you believe all these things about Jesus...... So what? So what does that do for you? So what does that change about your life? So what does that mean for everything, and so what is the point? I hav

"I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the..." (A Basic Worldview Observation)

Before I get into the topic of this post, I want to say I'm sorry for bugging everyone by trying to get you all to post on here. Like I have said, it is my favorite thing to do theology, so I get passionate about it. I am just going to keep posting and assume someone is listening, so pleaase sit back and enjoy. I have also been told that I should start podcasting with my web cam...... I'll think about it.... (this one is going to be another long one which has many layers) Within the past decade there has been a lot of fighting between Christians and the rest of the United States about taking God out of the Pledge of Allegiance. I am not sure how seriously any of you have debated this, but I have always just listened with intrigue to all sides. I understand both sides and never really cared about the issue that much...... until recently. I may have taken interest in a far different way than I have heard anyone else talk about though. Point number 1 : "You shall have no o