Skip to main content

After Dinner Conversation

So we just finished having a great discussion, Holly, Lorena, Jack, and I, and I wanted to say I enjoyed it. I set up the text messaging thing for blogger right after the talk, so that maybe I would post on here more. This is more of a test text, but I'd like to talk about it more with you all.
   Our discussion involved being disappointed in situations that we see..... and that led to ultimately discussing about what it means to really be in a relationship. Specifically that was about relationship with God, but we talked about how it should be very similar to how relationships with other people work. The only problem is that we are always taught that there is a destination of high intensity, being on fire, and being right and holy with God. The way to be in a relationship with God is to simply be in a relationship with him, no destination, just a journey. Almost like a healthy relationship with another person, or your spouse, but with God.
    We don't get this message fully from our churches, and leaders. There are standards that have to be met, rules that you must play by, and goals you must reach. IT ULTIMATELY LEADS TO A FAILING RELATIONSHIP. When we teach those things, we are set up to have a crappy relationship. When we are changed to understand what God wants from us in reality and not what the church demands from us, we then have the correct stress and issues on our shoulders to bear so that it doesn't crush us into a false religion. The result is RELATIONSHIP. That is all God has ever wanted from us.
   Having this understanding truly gives us the freedom that Jesus is said to have given us. No longer are we held down by an understanding that we have to do something to be with God, no longer do we have a guilty, negative, failing existence. It is then only about living your life, with God. Seeking him like a Father, or like a Brother, or like a Mother, or like a sister, or like a best friend or spouse makes it easier to understand the ups and downs that come with a real relationship and that also come with a relationship with God. No longer are you failing when you aren't motivated to read the Bible everyday, no longer are you sinning when you are just not in the mood to be involved in hyper intense worship today, no longer are you a rebel when you just don't want to go to church one week, no longer do you have to feel guilty for being in a mediocre rut with your walk with God. Ups, Downs, and Plateau's are all apart of a relationship. So is fighting and being angry at one another. So is laughing and crying together. Sacrifice is also part of a relationship. Commitment is also.
   This understanding can be scary for some people because a lot of us don't know what a relationship looks like. The family system is destroyed in America these days, our Churches have taught us legalism and standards for the past 1500 years, and this idea that God just wants to be with us in our lives seems outrageous and we don't know where to begin. Maybe the situation that we are in because of these things is why rebellion, sin, hatred of God, and luke-warm Christianity is rampant in our world. We have the wrong worldview and the viscous cyclical pattern of misunderstanding and negative reinforcement keeps us from breaking out of the chains we have been wrapped in.

Could it be that we have been fed a distorted message of how to be with God, and what God wants with us?
Could it be that the very thing that God wants is simple and not complicated like we have made it?
Could it be that each of us would be so much happier in our lives and relationships with God and other people if we layered our knowledge of God with truth instead of distorted lies?

It is about the Journey we are in with him, not the Destination we are seeking. The destination is not achievable, however the Journey is unavoidable.

   Relationships aren't easy, don't get me wrong. Although, the things we have been taught about how to be a True Christian are NOT possible, and being in a good, working, positive relationship with God IS possible!!

    Thanks for the after dinner discussion Holly, Lorena, and Jack. I was very happy to express these opinions with all of you, and you inspired me to type up this text for the Blog. Mind you, the discussion we had lasted a few hours, so i summed the ending up here on this post. If you want to expand on this it would be appreciated!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Restoration of Creation

    I find it very interesting now that I go back and read some of my old writings. Reading them and posting them on here may give you insight as to how my thinking, my worldview, and understanding of theology has evolved throughout the past decade or so. Here is the second post from the past.......(I really could have done a much better job writing these papers, what an  intellectual/ slacker I was all at the same time, haha!) 04/14/2005      The Bible portrays redemption in some way as the restoration of creation. This conflicts with the belief that somehow redemption has taken humans out of creation. Many “Christians” believe that the sacred and secular are separate because of redemption, yet all throughout the Bible it is quite the opposite. If we would only take the time to read and study the word of God, we would learn so much about what God has planned for us and what he has always had planned for us.      When the fall of our kind came, back when Adam and Eve first sinned, it

Jesus.....

Now this post won't seem as exciting as others I have posted, but you will see as it all plays out why I did this the way I did. To come out with it plainly, I would like to take this oppurtunity to ask the readers here what their beliefs about Jesus of Nazareth are. I am sure all of our views are different. This could make some of you uncomfortable. I know that there are non-Christians reading this, so remember that this is to be a respectable discussion, in order to move forward we must learn from one another. We Christians seem to be the most judgmental when it comes to this. So, what do you believe about Jesus? What does he teach you? What is his significance? More importantly, I find that the "So What?" question is the most important. That question means... so, you believe all these things about Jesus...... So what? So what does that do for you? So what does that change about your life? So what does that mean for everything, and so what is the point? I hav

"I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the..." (A Basic Worldview Observation)

Before I get into the topic of this post, I want to say I'm sorry for bugging everyone by trying to get you all to post on here. Like I have said, it is my favorite thing to do theology, so I get passionate about it. I am just going to keep posting and assume someone is listening, so pleaase sit back and enjoy. I have also been told that I should start podcasting with my web cam...... I'll think about it.... (this one is going to be another long one which has many layers) Within the past decade there has been a lot of fighting between Christians and the rest of the United States about taking God out of the Pledge of Allegiance. I am not sure how seriously any of you have debated this, but I have always just listened with intrigue to all sides. I understand both sides and never really cared about the issue that much...... until recently. I may have taken interest in a far different way than I have heard anyone else talk about though. Point number 1 : "You shall have no o